Thursday, May 17, 2012

Creamy Lemon Blueberry Crepes

I've always wanted to try my hand at making crepes, but I was afraid they would be really difficult to make.  Was I ever wrong!  If you mix your batter in the blender, the hardest part of making crepes is swirling the batter in the pan.  The crepes cooked super quickly in my nonstick skillet, even when I turned the stove burner to medium-low.  Next time I make crepes (and there will definitely be a next time!), I would like to try using a regular (non-nonstick) pan, and I'd like to try a savory version.

I made the crepes yesterday afternoon, let them cool, stacked them between wax paper, and put them in a plastic ziplock bag in the fridge.  My crepes were not as thin as I had always expected crepes to be, but at least they were mostly round(ish).  It took a couple tries for me to get the hang of swirling the batter in the pan, but once I got it, the process of cooking the crepes went smoothly.  I made two batches of crepes, just to be certain there would be enough for my hungry siblings and me.  The recipe I used said it yielded about ten crepes, but I only ended up with seven or eight per batch.  I may have used too much batter per crepe, but I found that if I didn't pour enough batter in the pan, there wasn't enough batter to swirl around.  I would like to try making crepes again and see if I can make them thinner and more tender.

I also prepared the lemon curd cream and the blueberry sauce ahead of time and stored them in the refrigerator.  For breakfast this morning, all I had to do was warm the crepes over medium-low heat in a skillet, microwave the blueberries, and assemble everything.




 FLAVOR:  The crepes themselves were slightly sweet and smelled of vanilla, and the flavor of the egg was prominent.  They almost tasted like french toast.  While delicious, the blueberry sauce and the lemon curd cream were very sweet.  Mommy commented that they would not be out of place as a dessert.  If I made these for breakfast again, I would increase the cream cheese and decrease the sugar in the blueberry sauce.  Altogether, though, I really enjoyed the flavor of this crepe dish.

TEXTURE/APPEARANCE:  The texture of the crepes was very different from how I expected them to be.  They were almost tough, for lack of a better word, and a knife was required to cut them.  Some of the crepes were prettier than others. :)  I found that one side always browned more than the other.  I just picked the nicer-looking side to go on the outside of the rolled crepes.  The powdered sugar on top made these look really elegant and fancy, and I loved the way the pale lemony filling looked next to the deep purple blueberry sauce.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/NOTES:  Elizabeth and I both think that the blueberry sauce would be excellent on cheesecake (which is another thing I would like to try making).  I found that our tortilla warmer was perfect for holding the crepes as I rewarmed them this morning.

FAMILY MEMBER REVIEWS:
Gabriel:  "I think that they were the bests crepes that I have ever had, even though I have never had crepes before this.  I like crepes.  They're delicious."
Anne Marie:  "I liked how the lemons blended with the blueberries so well, and then you have the soft sweet flavor of the crepe and it all kind of blended together and it was very good."
Elizabeth:  Taste was superb but the texture was not as I imagined crepes to be.  They were almost tough, not delicate like I thought they would be.
Mommy:  I would like to eat them again but I would prefer them for dessert, because I don't really like sweet things for breakfast.  I do like the sweet and the tart.
Daddy:  Daddy was not available for recipe testing this morning (he was at work).




Creamy Lemon Blueberry Crepes
From Picky Palate, with my comments/changes in brackets.
http://picky-palate.com/2012/05/09/creamy-lemon-blueberry-crepes/

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon melted butter [I did not add this to my first batch of crepes because I didn't see it in the ingredients list, and the recipe never said to add it.  I realized this as I made the second batch, so I did add a tablespoon of melted butter to the second batch of crepes.  No difference between the batches was evident to me.]
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar  [I think I would try this with slightly less sugar if I made it again.  The blueberry sauce was good, but very sweet.]
1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup prepared lemon curd
3 tablespoons softened cream cheese  [If I made this recipe again, I would use a higher ratio of cream cheese to lemon curd--maybe equal parts lemon curd and cream cheese.]

Instructions:
1.  Place flour, sugar, milk, egg and vanilla [and melted butter, if you remember to add it :) ] into a blender, blending until well combined, about 20 seconds.  Pour crepe batter into a large measuring cup and set aside.  [I did an internet search for crepe-making tips, and many websites said to let crepe batter rest for an hour, so I put my batter in the fridge for an hour before cooking the crepes.  For the second batch, I just left the batter sitting on the counter for about 15-20 minutes before cooking the crepes.  I did not notice any difference between the two batches.]

2.  Place blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice into a medium bowl, mixing to combine.  [I just mixed everything right in the saucepan.  Can you tell I do the dishes around here? ;) ]  Transfer to a medium saucepan over medium low heat.  Stir and cook for 5 minutes, until bubbly.  [This step took more than five minutes.  I think with fresh blueberries, 5 minutes would be spot on, but mine were frozen so it took a few extra minutes.]  Remove from heat and set aside.

3.  Place lemon curd and cream cheese into a small bowl, mixing until smooth and combined.  [I do not think I let my cream cheese soften enough, because the mixture would not become smooth.  It tasted fine, though, so I just left it with the tiny cream cheese lumps.]

4.  Heat a crepe pan or 12 inch non stick over medium heat.  [I used a 10-inch nonstick skillet.  I started out with the stove burner on medium heat, but ended up turning it down to medium-low, and I think I could have turned it down even more.]  Spray lightly with cooking spray.  [I switched between spraying the pan with cooking spray and dropping in a little butter.  Sometimes I didn't grease the pan at all.  I would need to experiment more to decide which method I like the best.]  Pour 2-3 tablespoons of crepe batter into pan swirling all the way around to get a nice circular crepe.  Cook for about 1 minute on the first side or until turning golden then flip and cook for another 30 seconds-1 minute.  [Mine never took a full minute on either side.]  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.  Continue cooking crepes until all the batter is gone.  Makes about 10 crepes.  [I got seven from the first batch and eight from the second batch.]

5.  Fill each crepe with a thin layer of lemon curd cream and a spoon of blueberries.  Roll crepes and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Now eat!

Makes about 10 crepes  [I got 15 crepes from two batches, and there was plenty of lemon curd cream and just enough blueberry sauce for all of them without doubling the filling ingredients.]

No comments:

Post a Comment