Saturday, August 4, 2012

English Muffins, Part 2


The pretty, first-cut English muffins.


After the dough doubled, I rolled it out about a quarter of an inch thick and cut out my English muffins.  I re-rolled the scraps once and cut a few more, then formed two wonky-shaped muffins with the final scraps.  The cornmeal-dusted dough rounds went for a 50-minute rest in the warm garage before coming back in the house to be cooked.

The two wonky-shaped muffins are on this pizza peel, post-rising.



I say "cooked" rather than "baked" because English muffins are prepared in a pan on the stove top.  A lightly greased griddle over medium heat is all you need to "bake" your English muffins.  Actually, I heated my pan over medium heat but ended up having to keep it turned down to medium-low so my muffins wouldn't burn.  Also, the recipe said they would take 4-5 minutes per side, but 2 minutes was just about perfect for my English muffins.  This might be due to their smaller size, though; I was once again faced with the wrong-sized-cookie-cutter dilemma.  I had to use a 2 1/2-inch cutter instead of a 3-inch cutter, the result being adorable mini English muffins!  Tomorrow we'll taste-test them for breakfast.



Flip, little English muffin, flip!


The finished English muffins, waiting to be devoured for breakfast! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment